Monday, November 12, 2007

Least Favorite Video



The song “Alyssa Lies” by Jason Michael Carol is a very good song that brings to surface a very serious issue that needs to be addressed. However the music video is my least favorite thing to watch. Not because it is poorly made but because of the pain it can cause just watching the video. Though I don’t want to simply ignore the issue, it is far too hard to watch this video and think about the things that these children have to face day in and day out without any support to get them through. I know that I could never survive in their situation and if that was the environment that I was brought up in I know that I wouldn’t be the same person that I am today.

The video itself shows several children who have been beaten both mentally and physically and it is nearly impossible to watch the entire video without feeling sick to my stomach. The images on this video are so intense that you feel like you know what these children are going through but in reality you don’t even begin to get a taste of the things that they go through. By creating this video the artist was hoping to raise awareness and prevention towards this issue. Hopefully he did just that but I cannot sit and watch this video knowing that there is so little I can do to help these kids with their situation. I will get involved in any way I can to stop this epidemic but watching the video does nothing but make me sick. This issue is something that needs to be addressed and hopefully stopped altogether because these kids are the future of America and by raising them in these environments there is little to no hope of a full recovery.